Alsop House Dedicated as National Historic Landmark
Clare Rogan, curator of the Davison Art Center and adjunct assistant professor of art history, speaks about the Richard Alsop IV House during a dedication ceremony May 22 in the DAC courtyard.
The Alsop House houses the Davison Art Center and Art Library. It was designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark in January 2009. About 70 people attended the Alsop House dedication.
Joe Bruno, vice president for Academic Affairs and provost, stressed the history of the building and its importance to Wesleyan and to Middletown. The home was built between 1838-1840 by Richard Alsop IV for his mother, Maria Pomeroy (Alsop) Dana. Wesleyan purchased the home in 1948 with funds given by Harriet and George W. Davison, Class of 1892. In 1950, the Davisons commissioned the renovation and restoration of the house, adding to it the museum for storing and exhibiting their print collection, parts of which they had donated to the university over the previous two decades.
Patricia Reville, president of the Friends of the Davison Art Center, speaks at the event. The Friends sponsored the dedication. (Photos by Bill Burkhart)
Pictured is the Richard Alsop House in 1934.
More information on the Alsop House is online at http://www.wesleyan.edu/dac/hous/house_intro.html.