Wesleyan will present the first-ever creative writing specialization on the Coursera platform, beginning Feb. 9. Taught by four award-winning authors, the specialization is open to anyone with a love of reading or a drive to invent a story or tell their own.
Titled “Creative Writing: The Craft of Story,” the specialization will include four courses, plus a capstone. The courses are:
- The Craft of Plot, taught by Brando Skyhorse, visiting assistant professor of creative writing in English
- The Craft of Setting and Description, taught by Amity Gaige
- The Craft of Character, taught by Amy Bloom, distinguished university writer-in-residence, director of the Shapiro Center for Creative Writing
- The Craft of Style, taught by Salvatore Scibona, the Frank B. Weeks Visiting Assistant Professor of English
- (Capstone) Crafting Your Story, taught by Scibona.
The first MOOC launches Feb. 9, with subsequent courses starting every week after that.