Wesleyan President Michael Roth speaks during the "Squash Building Preview" tour.
Wesleyan President Michael Roth and Alan Rubacha, construction services consultant, hosted a “Squash Building Preview” tour April 26 for faculty, staff, construction contractors and local community leaders. The former Squash Building will house the Career Resource Center, College of Letters and the Art History Department.
The Squash Building, located at the north end of College Row, was built in 1934. It closed in 2002. A grand reopening is scheduled for the January 2012.
The renovation project expands the former squash building into classrooms and faculty offices. It will include a 17-foot addition to the west increasing the building size from 13,000 to 21,000 gross square feet.
The Career Resource Center will occupy the south half of the first floor and a new second floor mezzanine level. Five classrooms and a conference room will occupy the remainder of the first floor.
“For the CRC, this is like Park Avenue,” Rubacha said during the tour. “This is prime, Grade A space on campus. We just can’t wait to be done.”
The College of Letters, the Art History faculty group and Visual Resources Library will share the third floor in a more efficient and accessible configuration which includes shared spaces for administrative support, a conference room and student work areas.
This renovation will be constructed to LEED (Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design) Silver standards with the hopes of achieving LEED Gold status.
Photos of the tour are below:
Sonia Mañjon, vice president for Institutional Partnerships and chief diversity officer speaks to Bob Santangelo, City of Middletown Common Council member.
Guests tour the former Squash Building, which was constructed in 1934.
In center, John Meerts, vice president for finance and administration, mingles with Middletown Fire Chief Gary Ouellette during the tour.
At right, Connecticut General Assembly Representative Matt Lesser, speaks to (from left) Joyce Topshe, associate vice president for facilities; Sonia Mañjon; and Krishna Winston, the Marcus L. Taft Professor of German Language and Literature, dean of the Arts and Humanities.
Five classrooms and a conference room will occupy sections of the first floor.
Alan Rubacha, construction services consultant, explains where the CRC will be located.
Joe Siry, professor of art history, will have a new office in the former Squash Building.
The remodeled building includes a 17-foot addition to the existing structure’s west side. (Photos by Olivia Drake)